View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
cookconfay

I for one do believe it's a disease....I was taught early on it's a disease of the FEELINGS. I do believe in the genetics as way back in my family it's shot through with alcoholism. I began to drink and use at an early age because I didn't "FEEL" like I fit in. That I was different than everyone else. The big book talks about the problem centering in our minds! To me a medical treatment to fight cravings...no, don't think so, seems like another medicine to take over for a different drug. For me, I know that once I start, if I were to start again for instance, that is what sets up the cravings. I don't have them anymore. Haven't in many years. That's because I work on "feeling" good about me now. When I started using & drinking....I didn't "know" that I was fixing up my "disease" pretty good, ya know? I was very young and wanted to "party" with the crowd.

People with full blown alcoholism and addiction don't know how not to use or drink in the middle of their active disease. It's what is normal for them, the cravings etc....
It has to get where they either have hit their bottom or the bottom is raised to where they are at. Not everyone has to get as far down as I did. Not everyone has to go back out. Everyone is different, what is not different is the FEELINGS.