View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
scarlati

Therapy, anyone?

Staying sober and eliminating caffeine has helped somewhat with my anxiety but I still don't feel as well as when I was on antidepressants. I quit taking them cause they made me gain a whole bunch of weight. They were prescribed by my GP and I have never seen any kind of therapist or mental health professional.

I'm not adimantly opposed to getting back on the antidepressants but I think I should give therapy a shot. I have generalized anxiety disorder (according to my GP, anyway), and I've had a couple full blown panic attacks but not since I started tai chi and meditation. I've heard that CBT can be pretty effective, so I'm thinking it's time I look into that.

So my question is for anyone who's done therapy. When "shopping" around for a therapist what should I look for, what kinds of questions should I ask? Does it matter if I see a psychologist, psychiatrist, councellor or therapist? Also, did you find therapy helpful? Any other comments, questions or suggestions are welcome.

And will there be a free initial consultation so I can "interview" prospective therapists or do I just have to make an appointment and pay for the visit as though it were a "session?"

Thanks in advance for any advice.