View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GingerM

If I were in your position, I think I would wait until the insurance goes into effect, then contact the insurance company to find out if they offer mental health coverage. If they don't, then there's no need to say anything to your boss. If they do, then I would simply state that you plan on seeing a therapist for some issues related to your past, and you may need to take some time off which you will make up for in whatever way you can. No need for details.

As for medication, when I was first diagnosed as having anxiety, like you, I refused medication. Looking back now, I wish I had done it a lot sooner. Medication by itself does not fix the problem. Medication in combination with a good therapist can help put you in a state of mind where you can actually do your homework (many therapists will assign you homework) and think about it without the anxiety interfering with your ability to reason. The "cognitive" part of CBT relies on your ability to reasonably and rationally think through your own behaviors. Without meds, I don't know if I could have done that at the beginning - too many triggers.

On my medication, I feel just like myself, except slightly less so. I'm not as easily startled, my triggers don't set off as quickly, my emotions are still there, my problems are still there, the things that set me off are still there, they are just a little more slow to get started - giving me that little bit of time to THINK before I start reacting.

Please don't rule out medications as a knee-jerk reaction. They can be very useful to your therapy and actually help speed the process up.

As for finding therapists who won't prescribe drugs, only licensed Psychiatrists can write prescriptions. Psychologists and other therapists can not. You must have a medical degree to be able to prescribe drugs. That being said, it is not uncommon for mental health professionals to recommend seeing a doctor about medications if/when they think it would be beneficial to their patient.