View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by GarryW View Post
I agree with you, Alera, somewhat. I should've said NA has an opinion about drug replacement programs such as methadone instead of saying "prescribed medication." And the piece you're refering to that suggests members share in meetings is talking about those who "experience disease or injury."

I, for one, understand the importance of protecting an atmosphere of recovery in our meetings so that the message isn't blurred by members under the influence. I've witnessed new members (who were on methadone) nodding in meetings. I've also heard the same members ramble incoherently when given the opportunity to share. What kind of message are they sending to those who aren't using at all? That it's okay to come to meetings and share while they're high? I don't see it as being any different than the drunk being asked to listen (instead of share) at an AA meeting.

I don't know if NA will ever view drug replacement therapy as medical care (like that specifically referred to in the pamphlet), especially when the vast majority of the fellowship got clean without it. As LucyO said, NA isn't about tapering or substitution, and tapering or maintaining an addiction (the easier, softer way) is something NA does have an opinion about.

"Does NA have the right to limit members participation in meetings?" We believe so.
I am with you on part of this. First of all, let me explain that I do agree this is NA policy now, and should not be broken until NA World Service makes a decision.

Members who are nodding on Methadone replacement is no different than the person who is nodding from heroin. That is not recovery. Nor is the person who is nodding from taking medication for a broken leg. I do see how it is exactly like the drunk being allowed to share. You and I agree on this.

My personal belief is that I would like NA to someday accept those who are taking drugs such as sub be allowed to share. I understand why NA has the stand it does, but as medicine is changing rapidly from Methadone to urge control medications I hope NA will look over the issue the next few years as more people are now taking some of this medications that do not make you stoned.

LucyO, I see your point and it is very valid. However, as drugs such as sub and naloxone are becoming more common place more members will have come clean from these medications. In the future, as medicine continues to change, I would like NA to look at this issue. For now, I understand why they don't want to take the risk. As Garry's examples show there is still a slippery slope.