Thread: OPinions please
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cinderellawkids

OPinions please

My oldest son is 9, almost 10 and Ive noticed some crazy behaviors lately and I wanted to share and get some feed back.

The last year Ive actually been at my worst and what he showed yesterday was so earily familiar.

He had been sent to his room and started screaming in tantrum ( his new behavior lately) When I walked in to the room he was screaming at top of his lungs in I saw him laying middle of floor flat on his stomach screaming and hands clutching at carpet as to pull it up. Many would assume this is a tantrum, but Im not so sure, at the beginning of my "feeling out of control,crazy and manic episodes" I found myself (him not around, always late at night) doing the same sort of thing in the kitchen. Mine got worse and progressed to em banging head against floor and/or wall.

So I took a deep breath, walked in calmly and asked him to sit on the bed so I could talk to him. He did, but as he sat cross legged on bed and I started to explain appropriate and inappropriate behavior and tried to get him to breath, it was obvious his heart was racing heavily. As I spoke he kept scratching his leg, picking at his ankles, socks ect.

By the time I left the room he was completely calmed down and okay and said he didnt now why he was acting that way, and once he started he truly didn know how to stop. He also through in "Noone understands him."

Is this acting out and typical dysfunctionality or something more?

Of course my husband thinks he is acting bad and spoiled, and maybe on some levels he's copying me, but his feelings, fear and terror, the look in his eye was all too familiar. I really think it is more, even though I didnt have those episodes until my late 20s, somethings going on, also my sister had similar behavior and for a short time was cutting.

Please excuse my niaviness (sp). Im not familiar with the different disorders. I have been diagnosed 1x as General Anxiety Disorder with bipoloar tendencies and 2nd time as Bipolar II. Both my biological parents were diagnosed (when terms were different) as manic depressive with suicidal tendencies.

Will a regular pediatrition understand my explaining what happened, or look at me like Im a nut? Would I be better to seek out counseling for him? Is he worse because of me and ways Ive reacted and depression and anxiety he's seen from me?