Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
prodigal

Welcome, tryvia. I'm glad you've come here for support. You sound like you have your act together. Yes, I've known people in Al-Anon who have put up with, married, and had children with an A. Some stay and detach, some leave and detach. Either way, it's all about detaching. You have set a boundary. You do not like her addiction and it makes you feel violated. I consider that a perfectly rational response. After all, at this very moment if she had to choose between you and alcohol, I'd place my bet on the booze.

I've been married to not one but TWO alcoholics (didn't learn my lesson the first time 'round, did I?) and I can tell you that had I moved heaven and hell, they would not stop drinking. An A will protect his or her addiction to the death, literally at times.

Going to Al-Anon is a great place to work on yourself. I have a home group that has been wonderful support for me. Just my opinion, based on having been married to two alkies: do NOT consider a permanent commitment to your gf at this time. I can attest to the fact that it does not get better, but it certainly gets a whole lot worse! Only the addict can desire and seek their own recovery. Only you can find the peace and serenity you deserve.