View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
aGrandma

Alcohol Withdrawal symptoms

My ah has stopped drinking for the very first time - last Monday. The first couple of days were pretty good. The 3rd and 4th nights he got very anxious and basically had full-on panic attacks. I have xanax at a .25 dosage and I gave him one each night and they made him feel well enough to calm down and go to sleep.
He is not getting help, he's doing this on his own (quitting drinking). I told him he can go to a professional and they can prescribe drugs for him that will help with his withdrawal symptoms. He said he thinks he can do this on his own and he doesn't want to go to the doctor, and also he said he is embarrassed. Of course I tried to talk him into it - I can't make him do anything.
This morning at 4 am I called an advice nurse and asked her if the Ambien caused the panic attacks and she said she thinks it might be alcohol withdrawal but added he needs to see his doctor in the morning - and my ah refused to go.
His m.d. gave him a sleeping pill - Ambien. It has helped tremendously. But do you think his panic attacks are from the Ambien or the alcohol withdrawal? (his dr. knows he is trying to quit drinking and knows his history.)