View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
newblue82
Let me grow up.

It makes perfect sense, Teke. Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry to hear of your loss. You're absolutely right that a non-addict would never understand an addict's mind or struggle. Although I'm starting to wonder about that as well because an "enabler" as many of us are also share an addiction to some degree. We find it difficult or even impossible to say no to the addict(s) in our lives, much like a drug though it brings us incredible pain and suffering. There in lies the addiction and the struggle for a non-user.

As for me I drink; probably more than I should. Do I think I have a problem with drinking? Yes, I do. I haven't stopped drinking but I have cut back considerably. But I also know that if I really made up my mind to quit drinking I could; no doubt it'd be difficult but if I wanted it bad enough I could succeed. Again I don't believe the choosing is in becoming an addict; I think the choosing is in becoming a recovering addict. And because I'm not choosing to stop or ready to stop, I continue to drink.