View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
queenteree
Recovering Nicely

(((Hopeangel))) Are you sure the attorney said he "could be" entitled to it? If so, please check with another matrimonal attorney before getting all upset. I do not know the laws in your state, and I am not an attorney, but I believe here in NY, personal injury settlements do not count when divorcing (neither do inheritances, unless it is in a joint account). I checked this out when my mother died and left me some money - it is in a bank account in my name only. My RAH has a personal injury lawsuit going on and when I was thinking of divorcing him, the attorney I consulted said that is his, and I wouldn't be entitled to it. Maybe my attorney was wrong, but in any event, if you could get a free consult with another attorney, it couldn't hurt.
Sorry to hear that he is putting you thru so much. He's not going to get help until he is ready, so why bother having that friend talk to him (BTDT). It just might create more chaos. Sounds like a real downward spiral to me, though. Keep being strong, it will all work out as it's supposed to.