View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mushroom

Angry Fixing credit record

I'm hoping someone will have some advice for me here.

When I split up with first husband, I tried to get his name taken off one of my credit cards but they wouldn't take him off it even though he was not a co applicant, just an added on name. It has now been about 10 years and I was just turned down for a credit card application. When I got my credit report to find out why, it turns out he's still using that credit card, has over $4000 on it, the account has been 'locked' I think is the term, and he's only paying about $200/month on it. It will take him forever to pay it off at that rate, and meanwhile my near perfect credit rating has THIS on it now.

We haven't spoken for years, just the occasional email. I sent him an angry email, demanding to know what was going on and what he planned on doing to fix the problem, and now no replies at all. I thought he might actually have committed suicide to avoid the whole mess ( would not be out of character for him) but he's still alive.

What can I do to clean up this blemish on my credit history?? How can I get him to pay it off? I've since moved to another state, so I don't know if I can even sue him in small claims court for it, and have his wages (if any!) garnished to pay it off. He's always been dirt poor, one of those who just never seems able to make any money despite boundless intelligence and talent, and he may not be working at all, he said something long ago about applying for Social Security.

I thought the account was closed but obviously not and he must have had the address changed on it as he doesn't live where we lived before. I still have the account number so I can call and get balance and payment info but if I close the account now, it still needs to be paid off! and it's still on my record as bad credit. I have an obsession with maintaining excellent credit so this is a real test for me! How on earth did I end up married to two different deadbeats?? (second exAH is supposedly making monthly payments to me for my paying off his credit card debts when we married - don't hold your breath.)