View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
weatherfreak

Originally Posted by liveweyerd View Post
My p-doc told me that Xanax was the Muhammed Ali for anxiety. I have been on it for several years. I am dependent upon it for sure. But I believe there is a difference between dependence and addiction. I would have withdrawals from my anti-depressants as well. I have tapered myself off xanax at least 4 times before as the situation I was in, I no longer needed it. But this is the longest I have ever been on it before and when I decided to taper and threw away some 180 1 mg tablets....it was pure hell....and then when I had tapered off and was given a low dose valium from a gp, I quickly learned that I had suffered needlessly, that the xanax works for me and I do need it. My p-doc was very upset with me about it....I was working out of state when I did this...and had gone to a gp. And made this decision on my own....because some of the abuse threads scared me so badly. From now on, I work with the p-doc I know and trust and who has been seeing me for 4 years. We have discussed klonopin at the last two visits, because of I was complaining of the lethargy produced by xanax. I was also quite depressed last time and she changed the AD meds to more activating ones....so far so good!

Not all people, but people with mental illness suffering from depression find klonopin very depressing. If you find xanax lethargic then klonopin will knock you on your butt. Maybe ativan might be a better choice for you. It is by far the least sedating benzo I have ever had. I would also choose valium over klonopin anyday