Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Macphisto

Got myself to an AA meeting after writing I had no time..

So yesterday after writing I had absolutyely no time to go to AA meetings because of kids, work, etc I did manage to go to an AA meeting.

I walked in a little late and the room was packed and I felt some anxiety but I did see an empty seat near the front so I walked up and had a seat.

The speaker was telling his story of how he has managed his 25 years sober and of how horrible his life was before finding AA. I started feeling pretty good about being surrounded by people who understood.

Low and behold, the lady sitting right to my left drops out of her seat to the floow having multiple seizures. That scared the heck out of me and I kind of tied to help for a bit but other people took over and called 911. It might have been a good thing she was there because there is a fire station right across the street so paramedics were there within about 2 minutes.

After all this I stayed at the meeting and people discussed their own personal stories and other people got chips for multiple years so that gave me alot of hope. I did meet a guy who received his 4 year celebration and I found I had common interests with him so we talked for about an hour after the meeting.

In the end, he offered to be my sponsor but I didn't really say yes.. I need to see first that I can commit as much time as I need to to keep involved in AA. I know I can make room but just not every day. I will give it my all though, I'm feeling really good about being sover and know I need to work the steps.

More than anything I know moderation will NEVER work for me. I use to hate it when people on here wrote that it wouldn't but they were absolutely right. I now truely believe that for a true alcoholic moderation will never work.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpfull replies yesterday that convinced me to attend that meeting. Maybe the seizure thing was a God send so I could see the horrors of this sickness.. I will probably make another meeting tonight and take it from there.

I will not drink today.... Thanks all..