View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
indigo
Community Greeter

Carl G. Jung: Believers and Thinkers
My education offered me nothing but arguments against religion on the one hand, and on the other the charisma of faith was denied me. I was thrown back on experience alone.

Belief is a charisma, which God giveth or taketh away. It would be presumptuous to imagine that we can command it at will.

Faith is a charisma not granted to all; instead, man has the gift of thought, which can strive after the highest things. ... People who merely believe and don't think always forget that they continually expose themselves to their own worse enemy: doubt. Wherever belief reigns, doubt lurks in the background. But thinking people welcome doubt: it serves them as a valuable stepping-stone to better knowledge. People who can believe should be a little more tolerant with those of their fellows who are only capable of thinking. Belief has already conquered the summit which thinking tries to win by toilsome climbing. The believer ought not to project his habitual enemy, doubt, upon the thinker, thereby suspecting him of destructive designs. If the an the ancients had not done a bit of thinking we would not possess any dogma about the Trinity at all. The fact that a dogma is on the one hand believed and on the other hand is an object of thought is proof of its vitality. Therefore let the believer rejoice that others, too, seek to climb the mountain on whose peak he sits.

- C.G. Jung in Psychology and Western Religion