View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Introvrtd1

For some, like me, driving or riding in a car is the worst.

Go figure, at least in a car, one can simply pull over and step out. In a plane, youre stuck. Just have to tough it out.

The other odd thing about p/a and driving is the trigger. A bridge, a tunnel, or even the highway can bring on p/a. I figure its a trained response. The anticipatory anxiety. Fearing the next one coming.

I remember long ago when the anticipation of p/a was the worst, especially when I went into an avoidance zone. I was practicing my cbt to lessen the effects of triggers. Fortunately I can look back with success, but it took a lot of courage.

Taking a commuter train can be a major trigger. Several months ago, I took a commuter train to a destination that took about 45 min. I felt myself wanting to panic, but didnt. On the way back home, yeah, I did have a mild attack.

Imagine the embarrassment of running thru the car freaking out. My mouth became so dry, I couldnt swallow. I wanted to grab the bottled water from the guy standing next to me and gulp it down. How embarrassing that would have been.

Good thing I stood calm, in spite of being turbulant on the inside.

Good news for folks who encounter these experiences..................We do get better.

Intro