View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GiveLove

Hi jsk,

I'm sorry you're going through this with your friend. All of us here are sick of drugs.

Please read all of the "sticky" posts that appear at the top of this forum. They were really helpful to me when I first came here.

Truth is, there is nothing you can do for your friend at this point. Unless he WANTS to get clean and go into a program of some sort (detox, rehab, 12-step) you cannot force him to. They like to say in these parts that "you didn't CAUSE his addiction, you can't CONTROL it, you can CURE it"......and as sad as it is, that's true. I remember being 19 and remember thinking that there wasn't anything I couldn't do if I just worked hard enough, said the right things, loved someone enough.

Unfortunately, addiction isn't like that. It has a mind of its own, and isn't the kind of thing you can just jump in and cure. They have to hit bottom, and want recovery for themselves...or else nothing you or anyone else says or does will do a d*** bit of good. Even if you force them too, lock them up, they'll just go back out as soon as they're loose...unless they really, really want it for themselves.

Have you thought about finding and dropping into a Nar-Anon meeting in your area? Those are meetings where friends & family of addicts can get together and talk. They were super-helpful to me as well when I was trying to cope with the fact that I loved someone who was an addict. Just having other people in the same boat to talk to was really healing to me.

Stick around, others will be by to tell you their stories too

Hugs,
GiveLove