View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

The very best way to get sober? The method that the particular SOBER individual you are asking got sober! In other words it is the only frame of reference that the respondent has intimate knowledge of. Any other ways are outside of the individual's own experience and therefore they are simply antidotal and are in fact second hand knowledge.

Perhaps the AA folk are more vocal about their path, or it may be there are just more of them on this site. I had to assume that since my goal was sobriety and a whole bunch of sober people were constantly referring to AA as the way THEY GOT SOBER it made sense to me to choose that approach.

I can't comment on the viability of other ways since I have never tried them. I went with AA several years ago and since then I haven't been drunk, or had a drink. I have "missed the opportunity" to try other methods. In order to try those I would have to go out and drink again and that isn't something I care to do.

I will say that after a few weeks of not drinking I did begin a healthy regimen of exercise and much better nutrition, all of which I am sure helped me stay sober. In my case I needed AA to get my thoughts cleared up enough so that I could begin to treat my body better.

Best of luck to your wife, no matter what her choice of remedies. Please do not discount the value of desire. It all starts with the desire and the recognition of the problem.