View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I followed the program outlined in the book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" and still take many of the vitamins and amino acids to this day. We were also already in family therapy for a variety of other issues related to having teenagers, and my husband and I both finally came clean and confessed to the therapist that we had a drinking problem. She agreed that AA would not be right for me, and she suggested that perhaps an MD (Psychiatrist) could assist, and she referred me to a really awesome psychiatrist. The psychiatrist prescribed Campral to help with the cravings and also helped with treatments of my sleep disorders as well. The psychiatrist also recommended that I go to AlAnon and possible ACOA meetings and she also suggested that I join a small women's "relapse prevention" group therapy program there at her clinic. I did talk to the Dr who runs that group and it sounded really appealing to me, but the group met once a week during my duty hours, and I was already taking way too much time off work to see the therapist, psychiatrist, sleep disorder dr, orthopedic surgeon, allergist (weekly allergy shots), dentist, etc on top of taking three children to their Dr, dentist, and orhtodontist appointments, going to parent teacher conferences, etc. If that women's relapse prevention group had met after duty hours, I probably would have participated in that group and found it to be very helpful.

In addition to the vitamins and prescriptions, I also went on a healthy diet and exercise program, both of which have helped tremendously. (And I lost 55 pounds in the first year, which really boosted my confidence and self esteem). Joining SR and reading posts from others like me has also been a huge help. Another thing that has made a huge difference for me this time is educating myself on this disease for the first time in 20 years. Reading the book "Beyond the Influence" was really eye opening and has made a huge difference in my understanding of why I can never drink again. The fact that my husband quit with me at the same time and we got rid of all of the alcohol in our home also made a big difference.

Good luck to both of you!