View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
prodigal

I don't understand what it is you need to "investigate" about A.A. and Al-Anon prior to going. It is suggested that you try six meetings and then make a decision as to whether or not Al-Anon is for you. As far as your beliefs go, as we say in the meetings take what you want and leave the rest. Nobody has ever tried to force their own religious or moral philosophy on me. We are there to discuss how we have become sick from being exposed to the disease of addiction for so long. We want to get better. Nobody forces us to get better. We take care of us, and our OWN business.

Your husband doesn't want to go to A.A. You obviously cannot go to Al-Anon right now because of your work schedule; however, if your schedule changes that would allow you to attend a meeting, it's still an hour away. If you want to go to a meeting, you will find a way to go to a meeting. If your husband wants to attend A.A., he will find a way to attend A.A.

Marriage counseling? I tried it with my actively-drinking husband and the counselor finally told us he could not work on our marriage with us, and we could not honestly work on our marriage, until my husband's addiction was seriously addressed. That meant seeking sobriety.

That is just my opinion, plain and simple. If anyone keeps trying to put a band-aid rather than a tourniquet on a torn artery long enough, they'll realize that the patient is bleeding to death.