Thread: What Addicts Do
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
happy33

What do I do now?

Hi. I'm very new to the whole addict relationship and reading your post about what addicts do crushed me, but explained so many things at the same time. My b/f is an addict and has tried several times in the past few months to get sober including 7 days in rehab (his 5th or 6th rehab in the past 7 years), but just can't quit. I don't think he's really ready either as he won't do any of the work or continue to go to the meetings.
I know it's been building up, but today the needles came back into play and I am just numb. I want to cry and I want to scream but all I can do is just sit here and fend off all the fights he is trying to start with me.
Unfortunately, maybe, I have know this guy to be sober for moments at a time and that is who I fell in love with. He wants to get married and have a baby, but right now that thought scares me to death.
I told him before that I wouldn't live my life with an active addict and if he started using again he was out. From what I have read I should follow through and kick him out (he is living with me and not paying rent!), but how? This time he won't even admit to me that it's going on and starts to get EXTREMELY angry with me any time he gets close to telling me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and yes I have started to go to Al-Anon meetings an think they're wonderful, but right now I feel like I'm getting squashed between that rock and hard place and am scared to death.
Thanks.