Thread: I'm So Screwed!
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sav
Sav

What a long strange trip...

So I talked to a tax attorney today.

He told me not to panic, that the lein amount of $105,069 is not reflective of what I owe. He said the problem is getting the original documentation...which is from over 15 years ago (why'd they wait till now? Government is sloooow!!!).

The actual amount owed is the "Profit" from the purchase. The lein on total amount is because I didn't file then (haven't regularly) and it's their way of saying;

"We really, really want to talk to you!!!"

IRONICALLY, he says that if I can get the documentation...since I sold at an overall loss... that the IRS could end up owing ME money!!!

Which I pointed out they'd probably snatch back in the form of late filing fees and whatnot...
But initial estimates from memory show a surplus in my favor (if I did this right, mind ain't what it used to be) of nearly $10,000.

So I went to bed $105,069 in the hole, and woke up $10,000 richer! (well, in theory)

Of course, if I can't get the proof, then it's up in the air what they'll do. And all my accounts are frozen till I work it out.

My poor heart...what's a tired ol' ex-addict to do??? I don't like rollercoasters one bit!

Last edited by Sav; 07-17-2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling