View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Introvrtd1

If you are panicky now.....

I'd like to share what might be of assistance to you until help is available.......

I've just been thru a horrendous panic attack and I coached myself down. There is still some residual dizziness, shaky, anxiety.

It all started after my morning exercise class. Leaving the gym I noticed the extreme humidity in this part of the world. A major trigger for me. The feeling of claustrophobia and 'lack of air' started playing tricks on my mind, and it just took off.

I found myself spinning out of control. It was about a five minute walk from my car to the office. I didnt want to freak out in public (I dont have to tell you folks what thats like), but I had that doomed feeling again.

I put my coping skills into action............Easier said than done, I understand, but here it is.........

-- Breathe normally. Do not allow yourself to hyperventilate like I almost did. It works.

-- Distract yourself from what the panic is doing to you. Count backwards by 3 from 100. If in public, start talking on your cell phone in a normal tone. Sounds silly doesnt it? When Im in a panic, the silly or ridiculous is a great idea as long as only you know it.

-- For me, going to the restroom and splashing cold water on my face is a biggie to calm me down. If there are others around, I still do it. I just put off as if its been a long day, or hard nite, and want to freshen up.

-- A chewable vitamin C tab is another biggie that brings me down.

This is not intended to be licensed therapy, just sharing some points that seem to work for me. Some may find this share amusing, ha, me too, thats why Im glad Im anonymous.

If it helps someone out there to better cope, I think its worth it to save even one person from the insanity of panic and anxiety.

I'll tell you something else thats a big help...........Coming on this SR site and reading/posting. It helps to rant, share, or ramble.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. By the way........

Im still an Introvert.