Thread: Prayers
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
raerae6

Originally Posted by marle View Post
I think that it is time to change our system of dealing with addicts. The jails are overcrowded because of addiction, our prisons are the same. It costs less to put an addict in a recovery program than it does to incarcerate them. I just need to vent this because it p*sses me off to no end when someone tells me it will do no good to find my daughter. I think anytime an addict faces consequences is a chance for them to find recovery. Who is he to tell me it won't help. Just go out there and do your job, Mr. Trooper. Marle
Marle, I couldn't agree more. The incarceration rate in this country has doubled since the 80s-mostly because of drug related offences. Drugs are very much available in prison, too. And locking up the addicts is not solving the problem. Like you said it is more expensive, too. Do they have 'drug courts' where you live? It is becoming a more popular alternative to jail.
They put the person in treatment and keep close watch on them. I think that long term in-patient treatment would be a much better alternative for addicts. Some jails have treatment programs, but not all do. I think it would be a better alternative to building more and more prisons.