View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jennchip

staying in touch with destructive family

To make a long story short, my mother-in-law is in denial...denial...denial!

My husband (her son) is a drug and alcohol addict. He is currently in Intensive Outpatient Treatment and doing great!

He has come a long way, from denying his addiction to fully acknowledging it and embracing the recovery process.

Our problem is this. I had to court order my husband into treatment because the addiction was destroying his life. His mother refuses to acknowledge that he is an addict or that I saved his life. I am not making any contact with her until she does so, even keeping her from seeing our children (her grandkids). My husband is making very little contact. This is really hard for her to fathom. She continues to play the victim. She refuses to try talking to me at all by saying that I have hurt her by keeping the kids from her.

I am very angry with her because of her role that she played in my husbands addiction/treatment. She helped me start the court order process by promising to be strong and support me. After he was placed into detox, she turned her back on me. The night my husband got out of detox, I found out that she drank alcohol with him. She has continued to do this (drink alcohol with him) through his treatment up until about 3 weeks ago when my husband had a revelation and started his actual recovery. I don't want her to cause problems for him during his recovery.

All I want for her to do is take this serious. I feel as long as she does not support what he does and we do, she does not need to be a part of our lives.

Yesterday, my husband asked her to attend "family weekend" through his treatment program. It is not for a few more weeks, so she has plenty of time to plan for it. I will be attending also. She said yes. However, today when they talked, she said that after talking to her immediate family (????), she cannot attend the family weekend. My husband is hurt by this, but he is strong and knows that he has me for support.

Am I wrong for cutting off contact from her?