Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
onthebeam
No, not Jim Beam!

Kathryn,

It's clear you are frustrated with the options available for recovery. But looking for a scientific solution is not the answer - one doesn't exist. Maybe someday, there will be a pill to stop addictive behaviors, but none exists now. There is no external "fix" available (psychology or otherwise). The only thing that works in the end is our own decision to halt the behavior. One must be honest, open-minded, and willing to do so.

I would encourage you to give 12-step programs another chance. They are the only ones with any respectable long-term success rates. Yes, those rates are only 7-15%, but no other program comes even close to even that. The spirituality aspect, although perhaps intimidating, put-offish, and difficult at first, is in fact the key to what saves so many people (including me).

Seeking or holding out for a "scientific" solution isn't going to help you. That's looking for that "easier, softer way" and it isn't there. This reminds me of the scene in "The Big Lebowski" when the thugs have The Dude's head in the toilet giving him a swirlie asking about some money. He says "I'm sure it's in there somewhere, lemme have another look..." And that's exactly where looking for that easier, softer way gets you.

And I would add that if a pill was introduced tomorrow that freed me of my alcoholic thinking and even allowed me to drink like a normie, I wouldn't take it. AA has not only relieved me of my desire to drink long ago, but more importantly, it teaches me how to honestly live life on life's terms - I love that, and I don't ever plan to stop participating in AA for that simple reason.

I wish you all the best in your journey.