Thread: I am new
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

It would make sense that AA would be a good place, but I live right next to the town where I teach and I would feel really uncomfortable thinking that I might run into a parent or student (I teach high school and if they found out they would have a field day--even though we get along!).
First of all, they would most likely be at an open meeting for the same reasons you are. But, if you're really that paranoid, you could find closed discussion meetings, where you'd be less likely to just "run into" anyone.

One of my favorite songs was "I Love The Nightlife", and my least favorite was "The Party's Over"...sure, I wanted the party to go on and on. Unfortunately, the "good times" caught up with me after 32 years of partying...and, I did have to change a lot of persons, places, and things associated with my drinking. After 27+ years of continued sobriety, I have no regrets...I probably would have been dead long before I reached retirement age...and, never would have lived to see my Great Granddaughter. The trade-offs are well worth it...you'll be gaining a whole lot more than you'll be giving up.