Thread: why just me
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Signal30

Ok. Thanks for answering. When I first got sober, I got a sponsor on my third day of sobriety. One of the first things he told me was to go to different types of meetings at different locations. That way you meet all different types of people. If you choose to go to a meeting again, ask someone for a "Where and When", or a schedule that has the different types of AA meetings in your area. AA meetings can be hard to find without some kind of helpful direction. You of course can find different meetings in your area online.

By going to Big Book meetings, you read the book as a group and discuss what you have read. This is good for people who do not like to read. It is another way to obtain the information in the book, and it doesnt take long to realize that an inanimate blue book knows you better than any of your friends and family. Also, you can read the book for free on AA's website. The first few chapters are a must to read, and if you read them you will figure out why.

Usually I don't reply to threads like this. I found it frustrating to try to help and explain AA. More often than not some of these threads seem to be defending AA against those who express negitive opinions twards the program. (Which please understand that I am not accusing you of doing this). I have to remind myself that this program doesent work for everybody, and that the primary purpose of me going to AA and working the program is to stay sober.

For me personally there wasn't an easier, softer way.

Good luck, and I'm here to help.

Tom