Thread: gone again
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
jsjohnson72

Hello! I stayed with an alcoholic boyfriend for 3 1/2 years - went to see a counsler and found out I was co-dependent starting reading books and distancing myself from him. Then I fell back into a relationship with an ex-boyfriend and got right back into a relationship with this time a drug addict. What I learned from leaving the alcoholic has helped me leave the drug addict sooner instead of staying for a long time. When I noticed that I was acting crazy is when I remember what I had read before and knew it was a sign that I need to start caring about myself instead of him. It has been 3 1/2 weeks since I stopped talking to him and now I am understanding that nothing I do will help him, he needs help on his own. And I also understand now that he probably does love and care about me but that addiction is so powerful it just runs his life and he will do whatever he can to go do coke. My boyfriend used to do the same thing yours is. Leave just to go do coke and would lie to me. I knew what he was doing but didn't want to believe it. I am so glad I walked away and now focusing on myself. No drama, feel better about myself, doing things for myself instead of for him is so nice!! Keep your head up just remember you can't control what he is doing and it isn't your fault and it isn't that he doesn't want to be with you. He will not change or get help until HE is ready. I mistakingly tried to get him to get help and got mad when he wouldn't do what I told him to do. I know you don't want to hear it and I didn't want to hear it - even reading back on some of my posts I wanted to talk to him and didn't want to detach but once you realize you can do better it will be easier for you to walk away. He even called me last night I hadn't talked to him in a week and he said he thinks me leaving him has made him focus on himself and maybe it is a good thing - but I will not step back into that relationship - too much damage has already been done and I really don't believe he will change and get help since he has done this many times in the last year. We were together for a year and this is the longest we have been broke up so I think it is for good this time. I was on and off with him for the last year but would only be broken up for the longest a week. I would get mad everytime he did drugs or he left me to go do drugs then we would break up and he would come back with some excuse and tell me how much he loved me and we would get back together for another month. Good luck and your in my thoughts and prayers! Also this site has helped me stay strong!!!