View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I tried everything I could think of to help my boyfriend, but nothing worked. Finally, I threw my hands up in the air and said the hell with it. Once outside my protective veil, his life took a terrible turn for the worse. That's when he realized he needed treatment and sought it himself. He was able to remain sober for roughly 8 months and then relapsed. He died alone in his apartment with a half gallon of rum at his side roughly three weeks ago.

Some alcoholics are able to find a life-long path to recovery. Many, like my boyfriend, are not. It's a terrible, insidious disease. But they won't get help for themselves while we stand in their way.

The best way to help your dad is to walk away. Pray with all your might that he seeks the help he desperately needs and finds a life-long path to recovery and then seek help for yourself via counseling and Alanon.

Believe me when I say I know how painful it is to watch someone you love throw their life away. But you don't have to join him in the downward spiral. Love him, pray for him, and let him go.