View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lobo

Loss of Kitty......Surprising Support

Yesterday was a kind of bittersweet day for me. Our kitty of 14 yrs. has been sick for quite some time now. I was away last week at my summer place for a few days and my Ad was staying at my house. Only since she has been clean was she permitted to stay. I was worried about kitty and I knew she would be there for her, and she was. She took really good care of her. When I got home, my daughter had a heart to heart talk with me about kitty. She said, "mom I think it is time for you to let go, it is not fair to kitty because she is suffering so" I was so relieved that she made that descision. It initially was her cat, but of course when she became an addict it was my cat. I became very close to her, kitty was comforting when I needed someone. The vet told me it would come to putting her down. I kept putting it off because I knew what it would do to my daughter. She has been clean and I didn't want this to push her over the edge. In the past her way to handle things like this would be to cover up the pain with drugs. Well, I knew I had to do what was best for kitty. I called my daughter and told her I was having kitty put down. I asked her if she wanted to see her before I took her. To my surprise she said she wanted to go with me. Together we went to do what we had to do. She held kitty for a long time and cried. Then I held kitty and I told my daughter that her dad will be happy to see kitty. He had a nickname for her and he loved that cat.
We cried together and consoled each other. We spent the next few hours together.
My daughter said she was really okay and was happy that she could do this without the help of drugs to get her through it. She really amazed me..........that was not usually the way she would have handled it. She didn't let me down and she didn't let herself down. We were both sad, but both proud.
I have learned to take one day at a time.............for now things are okay.

Lois