Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
duet_4-8
A work in progress....

Question OT (sort of) parenting question, input please

This is not addiction-related (or maybe it kind of is, I don't know), but there is an issue brewing between my oldest son and his younger brother and I would like some opinions.

Oldest son (24) is the one that bought the business that my ex threw away, his younger brother (19) works for him. Oldest son (I'll call him OS) is organized (to a fault sometimes), a perfectionist, smart as a whip, has a degree in business, a workaholic (I know ACOA...). Younger son (I'll call him YS) is easy come-easy go, laid back, a Theatre major in college, mildy dyslexic/ADD, sings semi-professionally, sloppy, and rather irresponsible (is this also ACOA??).

So OS tells me last week when we left the hospital to run some errands the day after his daughter was born that YS is basically slacking bigtime at work-text messaging constantly, being late, eating on the clock, etc..YS is the one that had been drinking and clubbing during his first semester of college; he is an incredibly talented, wonderful, loving kid but he is pretty irresponsible and kind of immature at times. OS learned the lesson of rescueing others far too well from yours truly and is stressing about what to do. If it was anyone other than his little bro he would have already fired them.

So here is my question for the SR gurus: should I talk to YS about this situation, give him a chance to make it right (I am not sure that he even realizes what he is doing wrong; he has worked at that store since he was 12 and was never held accountable to anyone) before he does lose the job, or just let the chips fall where they may? We are very, very close and we have always been able to talk about most anything but I'm undecided about stepping in.

Opinions, comments, words of wisdom appreciated!