View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PurpleReign
dum vita est spes est

Is everyone subject to addiction?

I've been thinking a bit...one my strengths and certainly one of my weaknesses/downfalls.

Does everyone suffer an addiction?

You can be addicted to sobriety, God, booze, pills, weed, [insert your DOC here]. At what point does what ever it is we are hoping to acheive stop becoming our main interest?

The only reason I ask is because I've managed to find addiction in everyone - even "normies" have addictions, be it chocolate, making fun of others due to insecurity, etc.

Biologically we are hard-wired for positive reinforcement. If something makes us "feel good" we do it again as long as the response echos it's derivative and gives us a feeling of saftey. Once that safety is breeched do we consider it a problem?

This raises the question, what is "safety." Finances, love, physical composition.

I've often found that I replace my addiction of chemicals with body-building. But in thinking more, the more cut and big I get the more "society" applauds, as if to fuel my new addiction, because well, according to society, "It's okay to bodybuild if it is positively affecting your life." You can insert anything in [bodybuild], you can use coffee, you can use meetings, you can use SR, you can use anything that you feel is bring you to a happier place in society.

So is it all utilitarianism in the end? I have to confess I've been drinking...yet again - three days of a wedding and finally I crumbled...I couldn't fight it anymore, and I lost - but I noticed the "normies", who actually aren't so "normal", we all have our vices.

So is the real key to find your vice and establish utilitarianism?

PR