View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Need4Change
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Unhappy When you've run out of options...

When you've seemingly run out of all options, what's left?.

1) Naltrexone helped me to quit many years ago and I stayed sober for a year and a half prior to relapsing but it is not working any more (even after numerous attempts). Here, might be the reason why (taken from a reputable psychiatric site)...

"Naltrexone, Once Discontinued, Loses Its Effect on Drinking".

2) Campral never really did help me sober up although a few times it seemed to have an SSRI-like effect.

3) I've never taken Antibuse and don't plan to because I need something to stop the cravings - not punish me by making me deathly ill when I have them and succomb to the alcohol.

4) I'm severely agoraphobic so sitting around a bunch of other people and sharing stories at an AA meeting is very scary and just won't work for me (google "agoraphobia" and you'll see why).

The only other things I can think of are prayer, several medications that have been used "off-label" with miraculous success to treat alcoholics or some yet-to-come revolutionary "magic bullet" that rolls down the pipeline a few years from now.

Other than these, what can I really do?. Alcohol's grip is very strong. I am weak (as many - if not all - of us are). That's a fact.

- Need4Change