View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nan07

Originally Posted by tyler View Post

As far as the one day at a time thing...I find it very helpful. My interpertation of the concept is that all you have to do is not drink TODAY. If you do that enough times, days become weeks, months, years, etc. The idea is to stay in the moment. Many of us have lost a great deal due to our substance abuse and spending too much time worrying about the future can be overwhelming. Don't know if that helps, or maybe just comitting to quitting forever is better for you. Take care.
That does make sense, Tyler. And actually, that's pretty much what I'm doing, if I think about it. I got through my first day, went to bed early so it could be over, in fact. Now, it's a matter of getting through day two. If I'm being honest, (and why not?) I think part of my problem with being sober last year was that I told myself I could "never" drink again. It did seem like a lot to handle, lol. Maybe that's why thoughts of moderation creeped in, or maybe it's all just a part of addiction. I'm going to be a bit more vigilant this time around, I think. Moderation=failure, lol!