View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I thought I was in great physical shape when I was drinking. I took long bike rides (had two serious accidents while riding drunk), took our dogs on long walks (made numerous stops to pee off the booze. Also used this time to sneak chewing tobacco that I'd lied about quitting), and enjoyed hiking with the family (my ex was probably hoping I'd drop dead from heatstroke). I felt great (except for the hangovers) and thought I looked pretty good. My weight was normal, probably because I didn't eat much.

When I went into recovery I stopped exercising because of the anxiety, depression, and the fear that my ex would change the locks while I was out. I also went on a steady diet of doughnuts, PB&J's, chocolate milk, Pop Tarts, and cookies. I went up two waist sizes and 25lbs. And that's where I'm at today.

Three months into sobriety I started walking and riding again. Still having trouble with the weight because I love to eat good food, but most mornings I walk my dog, do crunches, and I get the bike out every now and then. My kids keep me on the run paintballing and staying active. I eat mostly healthy food but tend to overeat. The biggest change is in my face. Man did the alcohol ever make me look old. But the biggest thing is that feeling good means thinking good. I'm happier than I've ever been, and if I'm not my daily AA meeting usually whips me back into shape.

So yeah, I FEEL GOOD!! Thanks for the cool topic CE!