View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by chiynita View Post
So I hope this post wasnt out of line. And if it is .I am sorry and it wasnt meant to be.
Hi and welcome Chiynita.

I think you did a nice job of speaking from your heart and sharing your honest opinion in a non-offensive way . All good in my book.

I will not do the HP/God deal and I am maintaining my sobriety quite nicely and loving it. HP/God may work for some but, it will not work for me. For me getting and staying sober is a skill that I can learn. I believe if a hope to die, relentless speed freak and unmanageable alcoholic can recover without a belief in HP/God or anything vaguely resembling mystical beings, anybody can.

I use the Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy approach to recovery.

The three major insights of REBT are:

(1), take responsibility for disturbing yourself and do not cop out by blaming others;

(2), face the fact that your early disturbances do not automatically make you disturbed today;

(3), understand that no magical forces will change you, but only your own strong and persistent work and practice - yes, work and practice.

Working this program is like a breath of fresh air to me.

There are many paths to recovery. Having the control and choice to decide ones own path for recovery is empowering. I believe recovery can be best achieved when its based on a persons strengths and personal preferences. With empowerment an individual gains control of their own life and destiny.

Again, Welcome, post as often as you like and I hope to see you around here, doing it the secular way.