View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Patriot

Originally Posted by Lovestoomuch View Post
I don't have any experience in any of those particular treatment programs but I do have enough under my belt to know it doesn't matter what program you find him. If he doesn't want to go and doesn't want the treatment, it won't work. Like so many others you will be $2000 in the poor house and he will still continue to use. It's a sad truth..........you can lead an addict to recovery, but you can't make him recover. All said with love.
I understand your point. However, there is no way he will recover in his current living conditions. I have been trying to help him for a long time now and things are only getting worse. He is too young to wake up one day and decide "I need to change my life". He can't even begin to comprehend what is at stake. Simply put, he is not going to turn his life around on his own, and neither are his parents. That leaves me, his brother. For many reasons, having him come live with me wouldn't work either therefore really the only hope is to have him placed in a better environment.

I agree with you that there is no magic solution. But, I think his odds for success will be tremendously improved if he is in a positive environment around people who are trying to help and deal with children in his situation on a regular basis. Especially when you consider the alternative, which is in a broken home living with his parents who are addicts themselves.

And for those who are interested, here's an update on my effort to get my brother to go camping with me and have a "heart to heart" talk. So far he has rejected my offer for a day of recreation in the outdoors, but I will try again tonight or tomorrow. I am confident I can win him over with persistence.