View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Patriot

Thank you everyone for the advice and words of encouragement.

Originally Posted by Lovestoomuch View Post
Now.........are you able to get through to your little brother? I mean.......does he actually hear you when you try and talk to him? If you're the only positive influence in his young life, is it possible to come stay with you?
Originally Posted by raerae6 View Post
Try to spend time with him. If he sees what your life is like and that you have plans and how happy you are to be working toward some goals, maybe this will inspire him. Sometimes just one good influence can make a big difference in a kid's life. Maybe he looks up to you, i always looked up to my older brother.
Originally Posted by Here_I_Am View Post
I would suggest spending a lot of time with your brother. School is out shortly...have him come stay with you for the weekend. Show him the healthy way to live.
I have tried this before. I tried taking him to do things. He really just doesn't want to go anymore. I might be able to get him out of the house for a weekend, but even that's a stretch. Pulling him away from his social life even for a few hours is seemingly impossible. Last time I took him out was probably 6 months ago or so, and he was on his cellphone and anxious to get back home after just an hour or two.

For a long time now I have been telling my parents that they should send him off to some sort of boot camp. I know that just being pulled out of that environment would be very beneficial for him. Our mother, while an addict herself, seems very willing to help and agreeing to do such a thing. However, his father, as far as I know, would never agree. My brother knows all he would have to do is whine to his dad, "I don't want to go", and that would be the end of that idea.

Now, I am finding out about these wilderness camps that rehabilitate troubled teens. I think this would be a better alternative to boot camp. The problem here is the same as the last - getting his parents to follow through with it. I feel now is the time to act as his summer vacation from school is starting shortly.

However, I think I might have a plan, as now I am thinking about getting social services involved. I am not a lawyer and I don't know how the courts would see it, but in my opinion his father especially is not only neglecting his son's problem, but aiding and abetting to it by giving him money, letting him leave the house with people in their 20's, etc. I don't know how social services work, but I am fairly sure if that his current living situation were investigated, it would be enough for him to be removed from that home.

My plan would involve giving his father an ultimatum. Either send him away to a rehabilitation program, and generally be supportive of his recovery process, or I am taking legal action to have him removed from the home. This would be a big step for me as it might sever any relationship I have with my step father.

If I were to do this, I would probably try to get my brother alone with me at least for a few hours. Maybe overnight on a camping trip, take him fishing or something. Then, I would tell him my plans and why what I am doing is trying to help. I would try to tell him that very few people pull out of drug addictions on their own and going to a rehabilitation program would be a great idea for him. Also, it would be better than the alternative.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for me at this point, I am happy to read them. Also, if anyone has any experience with the process that I am considering, I would like to hear it.

Thanks again.