View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
frankly
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((Patriot))

My normal response would be to let go of the addic and learn how to help yourself through this. But this isn't the normal situation. You are dealing with a child. One that needs a strong parental guidance. Being as his parents aren't fulfilling that obligation, as the only responsible adult around, it seems that responsibility is square on your shoulders.

I don't like the thought of a child being removed from their home. Sometimes where they get placed is worse than where they were removed from. Sometimes being removed is what saves their lives. My advice would be to contact a social worker and talk to them. Even if you don't give them the information about who you are trying to help. There are options out there. If you were to step in and your brother was removed, then there are other things I would do. I would ask the court for a child advocate, someone who would only work toward his best benefit.

As for you stepping in and being a guardian, only you can decide if it is something you could do. It sounds like you are capable, but that is a heavy sacrafice to make. You are young with your whole life ahead of you. Spending that life trying to "save" your brother may mean loosing yourself. Even if you could impose the rules that you suggested earlier, it would not prevent what is happening. No matter where he is, or who he hangs with, if he wants the drugs, he will find them. Until he wants to stop, he want.

It's a tough spot you are in. My heart breaks for you and your brother. My older brother was the addict. I couldn't save him. I lost him many years ago, and even now, I feel there should have been more I could have done.

Sending Prayers
B