View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Patriot

Question Looking for some advice

This is going to be long because I want people who read this to get a good understanding of the situation.

I am a 21 year old male from California. I have a younger brother who will be 13 at the end of this month.

In my opinion, I am a great role model to my younger brother. Very health conscious, and independent (living on my own and putting myself through school). Won't get near drugs/alcohol/tobacco.

Before, it was different. I did smoke weed and drink when I was a teen from the ages of 15-18. Apparently, my brother might be emulating my past behavior.

I know for a fact he is drinking and smoking weed and probably every day. Also, I suspect he may be moving on to more harsh drugs.

I moved out of my parents house just over a year ago, but he was already headed down the wrong path. I tried being a good older brother. I tried taking him to do things and spend time with him hoping I would rub off on him. However, it didn't work because he would rather go hang around his hoodlum friends all day. It was very hard getting him out of the house with me, and when we got back he was immediately out the door again with his "friends".

The main problem is his parents. His dad (my step dad) is a raging alcoholic and our mom has been addicted to methamphetamines (crank) for god only knows how long and smokes pot. Obviously, not good role models.

People here might have different views about teenage marijuana and alcohol use. What you people do is your own business. However, I just want to make clear that I absolutely DO NOT approve of my younger brother touching any of that stuff. He is far too young to be making those decisions, in my opinion.

Back to the problem - his parents. It seems like every time I talk to my mother and ask about my younger brother, she is telling me something new that he is doing. It started out with her telling me she thought he was smoking weed and finding cigarettes in his room, to him coming home extremely drunk, to hanging out with people 16, 17, 18 years old. Today, I find out that he went off with a guy who is 25 years old and admitted marijuana user at the very least, although I heard he was acting like he was on some kind of uppers.

Now you know what I mean when I say his parents are the problem. For one, I know, because I lived with them for 20 years before I moved out. But mainly they just let him do WHATEVER he wants. He comes and goes as he pleases, with whom he pleases, and here's the kicker - his dad gives him money EVERY day. Yes, $10-30 or more every day. I used to smoke weed and know that is more money than he would need to stay high most of the time. That's another reason why I think he is moving on to more harsh and expensive drugs.

I am trying hard to make it in my own life. I feel I could actually help my brother if his parents were cooperative. I feel strongly that if they did what I suggest they do, he could get back on track. This is what I would suggest: Take away his cellphone. Keep him from going ANYWHERE other than school. For fun, he could get involved with sports or other healthy extra-extracurricular activities. I would take him to do stuff, also, as I frequently spend time in the outdoors. The only friends he could spend time with outside of school would be ones that were positive influences and under at least some kind of supervision. The idea is to make it impossible for him to access drugs and keep him away from bad influences. In other words, be a responsible guardian.

However, this is so out of the question it's hardly worth thinking about. His parents are NOT going to change. They are parental failures, in my opinion. There is no "trying to talk" with them or anything. But I cannot just sit around and loose my only brother to drugs.

I am open to discussing suggestions that people here might have. Thank you for your help and I appreciate your time.