Thread: Marijuana
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Kimm992

Originally Posted by Elana View Post
I will say this.. and it is something I learned in recovery and from this board:

Feeling insulted, regardless of where you are on a topic, is just that.. a feeling.. a response to something. Feeling insulted is often a defensive posture (and it matters not the subject).

Many people have disagreed with me here (and many will continue to do so the rest of my life). I accept they have a different view point than mine and I no longer feel insulted as feeling that way hurts me.

If you are an occaisional drinker of beer, and you said this in an AA meeeting, you might get drummed out of the place, or at least called on your opinion. This is because of the experiences of the people who are in that meeting.

If you are an occaisional drug user and you come into a place where many many people have been severely damaged on many levels by drugs, you must expect there will be those who do not agree with you.

I see your point of view. Due to my very painful experiences I do not agree with you and that is OK!

If we all agreed we would lose the texture of humanity.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I am of the firm belief that there are respectful and polite ways to disagree on things. I have NO problem whatsoever if ANYONE disagrees with me on any subject and of course when it comes to topics such as drug use it's expected, but like I said, there is a polite and respectful way to disagree with someone.

I did feel insulted and my feelings are legitimate and I am entitled to them. It was not the fact that someone disagreed with me that caused these feelings, it was the way in which it was expressed.