Thread: I'm New...
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Tryingveryhard

I'm so glad I'm part of this forum. I couldn't wait to come home and log in because it makes me feel better,

It's also made me do some soul-searching. I realize that no matter how hard I try I just don't understand addiction. It's partially my upbringing. I'm a very strong person and whenever I encountered something in my life that was threatening, my mother would say, "Are you stronger than IT or is IT stronger than you?" This has helped me through a lot of tough times but when it comes to my son it doesn't seem to be working. When it comes to him, all bets are off.

His counselor told me that I'm codependent. I wish I knew what the heck that was! I read the sticky but I'm definitely struggling with what codependency is. According to his counselor, I have to stop questioning his wherabouts and acting like a detective. This is very hard for me to do because I'm trying to protect him even though I know I can't. How can I not worry when I don't know where he is and what he's doing? Any advice on breaking my codependency?