View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lobo

Guinevere, I have been in your spot many times. I always had a lot of friends and was a very social person. Isolating myself was very out of character for me. I just felt that no one in my life could relate to me because they weren't going through what I was going through. I also didn't want to share my problems with them because it was too embarrasing. I have 2 good sons and I have sisters and brothers who I could share with. They all stuck by my side and encouraged me to do things in spite of my pain. I have 2 daughter-in-laws and a baby grandaughter. My husband is deceased.
Basically how I get through it is I have SR to share my deepest and most embarrasing issues of this addiction. I push myself to go out and do things. I work, and I go out line dancing. I took lessons when my husband died and discovered that music helped to heal my broken spirit. I made a lot of friends who I became very close with. I also have a summer getaway that I go to on the week-ends. I invite my widow friends along for week-ends and we have a sleep over, cook outs, we line dance, and laugh a lot. I have shared info of my daughter's addiction with my closest friends and it was the best thing I ever did, because now I don't have to put on a false face when I am down. They are supportive and love me no matter what.
I don't go to meetings or therapy. For me I didn't want what she has done to her life to consume that much of me. I did not want to be forced to go to things that I did not want to do. I have tried meetings, I didn't like it. I get a lot out of coming here to SR. I have made a special friend here and we talk on the phone and share a lot of the same feelings about our daughters. That has helped both of us so much. I do know that I can't do this alone. I cannot do it without God in my life. I go to a prayer group and I have people praying for my daughter everyday. Any way that I can bring God into her life and mine I will share so people will pray for us. Great things happen through the power of prayer. I never stop believing or having hope. For today I will keep SR in my life. I keep family and friends close, and I will keep on dancing.
I hope that you and your hubby can find a balance to put a smile back in your heart,

My prayers and blessings to you and your son...............Lo