View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Guinevere

social isolation

Since I started dealing with issues related to my son's addiction, I have become more socially isolated. I have never had a big circle of friends, but I was close with my circle at work and my family. Now I find it difficult to lift the phone to make a call to chat with anyone other than my daughters. My husband and I have not been active in church for many years and my daughters live hours away from our home. In a very special way, I feel close to members of my Alanon group, but I only see one member of the group outside of the meeting. Since I am a teacher, I am more isolated than ever during the summer. When I am around my students, I can break the hold of my obsessive thoughts and actually communicate. Now I sense that I am alone even when I am with people. If only I could break out of this shell of isolation.

This is an example of how addiction becomes a family sickness. My husband and I are both sick! It seems our lives are occupied with worries related to our son. Your thoughts and suggestions are requested. I have learned since joining this group that many of you share similar experiences. Even though my reactions may be different than others at SR, many of you suffer the same emotional and social ailments. How have you coped and reclaimed your life?

I would like to express my thanks to all members of SR who have shared your thoughts and stories. Your stories have touched my heart and opened my spirit.