View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Live

ah...finally, I was thinking about you.
And you too Teke.

I have to admit I am glad I am in my golden years. I went straight from 17 to getting married and raising two kids. The oldest died and the other is doing super and is in Indiana. My hubby and I are just the two of us for the honeymoon and love it. I spent the first two years of my grandson's life raising him as much as his momma and more that his poppa and I am forever grateful for that. It resurrected me from losing my son and he is the cutest. But I don't want to raise/babysit kids anymore.

Well...to me, be careful what you ask for. Few minutes ago stepson called and he and my best girlfriend and his sometimes gf are coming over. Amazing how fast I can clean a bathroom!

I know this is touchy...but hubby and I are not tee-totallers. We were sitting here each of us with a drink, he likes a beer and I like a glass of wine and we were discussing how and what to do with that storage/guest room.
I know after ex, I was absolutely phobic about alcohol and would not be around anyone or anywhere there was drinking......but over time (3 yrs) I have distinguished between social drinking and alcoholism.
But hubby and I agree it is time for us now. And even before we married and when I was convinced I was destined to remain single and was liking it, I still thought that way....I have met my responsibilities, now is my time.
But, anyway, stepson does have a drinking problem, so hubby and I agreed to hide the booze. Not trying to stop him from drinking, he is going to do that anyway...but we just prefer not to have the chaos and stupidity here. He will probably bring along his own beer...and neither one of us are going to try to police him. The hardest thing I have learned is that I have to respect his right to make his own choices, whether I think they are bad or good. We will make sure he doesn't drive, but other than that, what he does is on him.
We are not going to dwell on it or let it affect our lives. We both have had enough of that in the past.

Remember the serenity prayer!

hugs,
live