View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
una_brinne

I agree to a point....but not completely.....I'm new here, but it seems that there are some ppl here who don't truly believe that 'bipolarism' is an ACTUAL disease....I am bipolar A (OCD and ADHD) and I was an alcoholic before I knew about my other afflictions and bipolar's ARE prone to addiction, that's one of the most difficult aspects of the disease. I take a handful of pills everyday that I hate because it seems that they don't really work...I've gone off of them before and realized that they DO indeed work. What doesn't work is mixing them with alcohol...that's a recipe for disaster and I've gone through it many times....that's why I'm here. I've also put my wonderful husband through alot of BS and I guess I should be thankful that he truly loves me and doesn't feel the same way as some who have posted here! I am a person too - even tho I'm bipolar - it's a true disease. I refer to it as cancer of the brain BUT it can't be cured and you will live with it for the rest of your life - most bipolars realize that and can't stand the thought so they choose to end their lives instead of attempt the alternative. I have 3 wonderful children an amazing, loving and supportive husband who won't leave even when I tell him too. He left his family in England to be with me and misses them horribly - but he won't leave me and our children. He doesn't treat me like a freak that has no right to live a happy normal life. On this last go around I was sober for 95 days - taking my meds regularly but suffered a relapse last month - we've had some rocky times since then...he's listened to my enraged mouth and dealt with my temper like a 'real man' would. I guess what I'm trying to say is that - "yes" you need to decide upon whether or not you are willing to deal with someone who has a disease for the rest of your life....he needs to deal with the alcoholism and get his med's straightened out those things are his afflictions to deal with....I don't, however, feel that loving him is wrong .... you may have to love him from a distance until he is able to straighten himself out. You can have a 'normal' life loving with a bipolar but they have to keep up their end of the deal and do all that they can to better themselves....I would like to know....if he were in a car accident and lost all use of his limbs would you stop caring for him....if he ended up having cancer....would you throw him out just because you didn't want to deal with a few 'problems'? NO ONE is at all perfect, we all have something that we have conflict with I have to deal with my husband's problems and habits too.
I'm sorry but a few of the comments above made me feel very sad....
It is up to you to decide in the end...despite some of the negative ppl that will always exist in this world.

Good Luck and Blessings,
~H~
"We create the future with our words, our deeds, and with our beliefs."