View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sunflower

I can only tell you my own personal experience with my alcoholic son--I to am an RN.I myself would not attemp at home detox-unless as steve pointed out I had all the proper eqipment/medicines etc....even then I would not do it...emotions could get in the way.

Detox is bestleft to the pros-inpatientYou never know how they are going to react-plus it gives them a chance to get a physical and some counseling
.The medications you refer to are meds used after detox to block cravings.
For 14 years of detoxs-AA-and everything under the sun the only thing that ever worked for my son was Camphrol--it helped him cut the craving without any side effects andhelped him to stay sober for the first time(after many many attempts) You don't need the antabuse--that makes them feel sicker---just the camphrol should work...

My AS was on it for 3 months but you can be up to a year I think.I wish you the best--it is always worth the try and has a high% of positive results.Why wouldn't an A want to try it?
What would be the downside?
Your AH may be one of those it works for.
If it doesn't---you have lost nothing.
We must be very careful what we write here-that it is medically sound and correct
Attached Images
File Type: gif
2006 Hugs4.gif (51.5 KB, 60 views)