Thread: S.C. Check-in
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Thanks MJS. We seem to share a lot in common. Though I tend to downplay my alcohol use, it has definetly been an issue for me too. The week was a 24/7 kinda thing for me, so much that "high" was my "normal" state. Well in the evenings you want to "relax", right? Well I was already high, so that meant hitting the bottle. Port wine was my drink of choice. When I was younger I used to really enjoy a good glass of port. Some good aged Tawney Port was my favorite. I learned to enjoy it my senior year in high school when I was in Australia. I lived in the Barossa Valley, Australia's version of the Napa Valley, so everyone drank wine. We'd have champaigne with breakfast, wine with dinner and a glass of port after dinner. Of course when drinking to get drunk a bottle of the cheapest hootch availbale would do. I'd pour the whole bottle in a liter cup, ice it up and chug it down. No, I don't have a problem with alcohol. I finally stopped doing that...and upgraded to a half bottle of whiskey mixed with 7-up (7&7 from my old college days, of course I wouldn't actually spring for the Segrams 7, I'd go for the $6 a bottle stuff!!). I'd really only drink by myself. If I drank socially, it was rarely a problem. I just needed that extra something to put me out for the night.

I to take a variety of meds to help me cope, and hope not to have to be on them forever. My problem is I've been perscribed stuff for ages, but continued to use while taking them. Doesn't make them work so well!! I like your 1 year comitment to the program. Can't hurt, right?? I'm still fence sitting on that one. One reason is I don't trust myself to go out. I know if I stay home I can't get any herb, and drinking without it is just not satisfying to me. I hope you keep posting about your experiences with the program, and wish you the best with it. Thanks for posting here. Take care.