View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
leviathon

Hi All, good topic.

I have heard camporal has a great deal of benefit for those experiecing withdrawal.

In terms of my experience, I rely on anta abuse to this day. I keep a prescription and if I am ever feeling that compulsion I immediately pop one. Many would say that is wrong and it is not the AA way, but it works for me. If I feel the compulsion, I have it at hand, I take it, the compulsion now cannot become a reality b/c I would become very ill and then I have time to reflect on why I was feeling the compulsion.

In terms of my experience with doctors, the city doctors seemed to be at a loss. They wanted to help, but didn't know what to do, so you were just refered to a spin dry (dry out) place.

Then I came north. The doctors up here are wonderful. Not only do they know about the issues that relate to alcoholism, they actually seem to know what to do about it in terms of medications that are helpful, including prescribing vitamins to help rebalance the alcoholics brain chemistry after stopping.

I then looked into why the difference: the explanation is that in med school they only get a very brief exposure to the issue with very little real information. You have to take extra training to actually learn about it and how to treat it, it is not part of the curriculum. Surprise, surprise, surprise.... 'little Gomer Pile there!

So why do the norther doctors seem to know more? Because it is more in the open in the north apparently. Towns are smaller, people with alcohol problems aren't able to hide it as readily; people seek treatment; their doctors care because they actually know the person.

Peace, Levi