View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
andshewas

Originally Posted by Ten Chips Down View Post
And hey, if the spiritual principles feel good to live by and they improve your life, then by all means! ...So long as you don't start blaming yourself for having cancer or being alcoholic... or stop an antidepressant because The Secret does, after all, champion "the power of thought!" -with frightening exaggeration.
This is where some of the danger lies, really- it can too easily be turned around and turned into (in most cases further) self- blame for things which go wrong- many of which you do not have a say in (I had cancer, for instance, am fine now but was not helped by the rage I felt when someone told me it was all my "inner anger" which had physically manifested). A positive attitude *is* better for you than a negative one, to be sure, but it is not going to keep you dry when it rains. For that you need an umbrella and to engage in the act of opening it.

You mentioned something about "answers". I think there is a lot of fear in not having answers. Sometimes, though, it is ok to not have an answer. In my experience it can be better to not have an answer rather than to have the wrong answer. (Example- There is a clear liquid in an unmarked bottle. Is it water? Don't know- don't drink it. Someone says "yeah, it's water" you drink it, but it's not. You're now ill.)