View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mallowcup

In the hospital I first started out in nursing, I would say there were at least three major celebrities that passed through. One in particular had a very painful and chronic condition. I assisted in a procedure that was painful and this celebrity looked me dead square in the eye crying and asked me to hold her hand.
That day was an important one for me. I realized for the first time that disease and sickness knows no boundaries. No matter who we are, we are flesh and blood.
As normal folk walking around we don't really think about what it's like to be mega rich and famous. We envy them.
Let me tell you something, there is nothing, NOTHING so sad than to see a person discover that their money can't buy health.
Day after day, doors open for you, bills do not stack up, you have someone cleaning your house, someone cooking your food, planting your flowers, driving you....this does something to your head after a time. You become immune to the things of the world. You are surrounded by people who want to be near you.
This woman got sick and became like a vulnerable child, no one was there. Pain was there. Pain is humbling. We are all much more alike than different.
A drunk smart person is the same as a drunk famous person, a drunk guy in the ditch is the same as a housewife drunk in the closet. Flesh and blook responds to alcohol the same way over time. If you are rich and famous, you may hide it better for longer but when you crash, the trip is the same distance to the ground.
We had another extremely famous entertainer that was about to go in stage at a nearby performing arts. This woman wanted someoine to come at once to give her a B12 shot. She was already dressed for her show wearing black dancing tights. She said she didn't have time to take them off so just give her the injection right through her tights. Well, that's what we did on her insistance. I think she used the B12 to give herself a boost before a performance. I also think she may not have wanted us to see how many injection sites were on her thigh.
In a million years I would never give an injection through a pair of tights, but because she was who she was and insisted, I did. In many ways, the rich and famous may be the most highly enabled.